17 March 2010

2 days...

One of the greatest things about going to Ghana on a missions trip is that I get to spend it with 8 of my youth group “kids”. It is an adventure that I get to not only experience myself but with them. I am proud of each of them. They are 16, 17, and 18-year-olds who are daring to step out in their faith to serve in a far away country. I feel blessed to be able to experience it with them. I feel blessed at having each one of them in my life. In eight very unique ways, they teach me about God and faith and what it means to be a Christian. They are not “just” high school students – they are reflections of Christ. I pray that this 10-day journey will solidify their faith.

This past Sunday our team was commissioned by Cedar Hill CRC, one of the three supporting churches of our youth group. It is overwhelming, but very comforting, to realize how many people are praying for us. The commissioning was powerful. As family members and youth leaders laid hands over us as Pastor Norm blessed us in prayer my legs were somewhat shaking – not out of nervousness but rather at being aware of the presence and power of God. He is not only going to be with us in Ghana, He is already with us and has been over the past several months as we prepared for the trip.

The other day I came across a translation of 1 Corinthians 13:13 from The Message that I really like – “Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly.” It is my prayer that Ghana will not only solidify each of our faiths, but also teach us how to do just that – trust, hope, love.

No comments: