05 August 2013

i'm a nerdy mom.

i recall being called a nerdy newlywed not that long ago. the label was assigned because i didn't want to be away from jay for more than one night for our girl's (craft) weekend in ocean city. what can i say? i enjoy being with my husband and miss him after very little time apart. i am proud of my nerdyness.

well, today i am labeling myself. i am a nerdy mom. today (pretty much most of the day) my brain has been thinking about grace - things to do with her, traditions, gifts, etc.. i think this brainstorming was stirred by seeing a photo someone took while they were at a hot air balloon festival. immediately i thought to myself, i want to take grace to one. i have gone a couple of times to one in central jersey growing up.

so that's where my head has been today. i have even begun composing a list - a draft in my email - of such things. am i a nerd? yes. but i am just so excited to be grace's mom and to be able to do these things with her as a family. i shared with jay the beginnings of my "idea" last night on our walk to get sushi and pizza (yes, you read that right). he liked it. that's all that matters. i am proud to be a nerdy mom.

3 comments:

Liesl Botbyl said...

you are allowed to be a nerdy mom and a nerdy wife. that's what makes you special and what makes for a close family. but don't forget that you are also jill and need time and traditions for yourself--otherwise you can't be a good nerdy mom and nerdy wife.

kate said...

being a mom is an honor and a privilege -- and you are much better off being a nerdy one. i know that i am, too. traditions and memories are lovely and beautiful.

liesl is right. moms need to pour themselves into their children and that is so beautiful -- but don't forget that you do need to fill yourself, too. otherwise, eventually, you will wake up one day and realize you forgot who you are. before being married. before being mom.

the best gift that you can give to grace is to be you. that is what i have discovered about being a mom to my boys.

Lois said...

And I am fully aware that I was a now labeled nerdy mom, cherishing each moment and family that God has so generously given. Then I became a nerdy nan imagining always oodles of events, pleasures and simple every day goodness to show and give those 6! Grand kiddies! My mind explodes with inspiration and gratitude.