16 April 2011

day 34: not peace, but a sword

"do not suppose that i have come to bring peace to the earth. i did not come to bring peace, but a sword."
matthew 10:34

this passage, along with the verses around it (matthew 10:34-39), is a bit surprising. i imagine it was a bit confusing for the disciples to hear. Jesus and sword just don't seem to go in the same sentence. we think of Jesus as a loving and peaceful Savior, forgetting that he was revolutionary who stirred up conflict. in this passage, Jesus is preparing the disciples for persecution.

it is an interesting follow up to the previous chapter: serving one master. following Jesus is a choice that demands all of us. you can't follow Jesus half way; you can't follow Him and something else. Jesus is warning them about opposition - opposition which may come from within the family. many of us have this notion that when we choose to follow Jesus, life will be easy and peaceful. but as nasser points out, "we will have peace in our hearts, not necessarily in our relationships."

the literal meaning of this text is hard for me to understand and apply. in a lot of ways, i am a Christian because of my family. my grandparents laid down a foundation of faith that my parents then laid down for me. i don't face conflict or persecution within my family because of my faith. so i cannot even imagine having to more or less decide between the two - family or Jesus. but i have friends who don't share the same story. they became Christians later on in life, while their family members remain non-believers. i can see their struggle with this - it divides their heart.

for me, the deeper meaning lies in choosing which master to serve. i may not face great conflict or persecution from friends or family because of my faith. but there are plenty of other distractions and temptations that try to keep me from serving Jesus. if i am serious about following Him, i must take up my cross.

Lord, you want to be number one in my life. forgive me when i let anything else get in the way, when i love other things or people more than you. fill me with your Spirit to help me take up my cross and follow You.

No comments: