26 March 2011

day 16: God's curriculum

"consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
james 1:2-4

david nasser compares our faith journey with God to an education, with God's curriculum in a school of faith. unlike the academic education we receive, God knows what each of us needs and adjusts the course to fit each of us. sometimes the curriculum is very different from what we want. we enjoy recess and hanging out with friends, not tests. "His purpose is for us to enjoy him as he builds our faith. not to bring success, but to build our faith. not to make us happy, but to build our faith. not to provide wonderful friends, but to build our faith. not to make us comfortable, but to build our faith." it sounds pretty clear. the end goal, the "degree", is to have a well-built faith that prepares us for a career in knowing and serving him.

as i pointed out yesterday, God gives us tests. sometimes that test is complete darkness. things seem to be going really well, God is close to us, lives are changed, and great things are happening. then suddenly, nothing. the light is gone and we feel very alone. our sins put up layers of doubt and disobedience that block the light. the solution then is confession, repentance, obedience. we must search for those sins and pray to God asking for forgiveness, but also pray trusting that God is still God.

the prophet isaiah reminds us that God's plan is better than ours. "'for my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.'" (isaiah 55:8-9)

paul experienced great testing. he also encourages us in the book of romans when he explains that tests bring perseverance, perseverance develops character, and character builds hope. hope does not disappoint.

a jesus culture song called 'you won't relent' puts the testing in another perspective. God wants our hearts and he will adjust the curriculum and the many courses so that we give it to Him. sometimes it just takes a few tests, sometimes it takes years and years of testing. but he won't relent.

you won't relent until you have it all
my heart is Yours

i'll set you as a seal
upon my heart
as a seal upon my arms
for there is long, that is as strong as death
jealousy demanding as the grave
and many waters cannot quench this love

come be the fire inside of me
come be the flame upon my heart
come be the fire inside of me
until you and i are one

Lord, give me enough joy to encourage me, enough love to strengthen me, enough success to build my confidence in you, enough suffering to force me to depend on you, and enough confusion to make me seek your face.


No comments: